Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Shall I eat them?

The only donuts I ever know what to do with are the edible ones (and don't my thighs know it...). For some reason, it's a shape that eludes me and doesn't usually inspire me. I've seen some really nice designs using them, but they usually also cover a lot of the stone - and the beauty of the stone is what atracts me to it in the first place.
I had purchased this jasper donut a long time ago, but when I looked at it I never felt the divine inspiration to do anything with it - and just lamented it wasn't one of the edible ones...

I finally picked it up a few days ago, and decided I definitely wanted to use copper wire and brown leather to bring out the browns in the stone.


I picked up a hemimorphite nugget whose bluish color did not clash with the blue in the jasper, which I encased in wire loops (learnt from Mary Hettmansperger book, Wrap, Stitch, Fold and Rivet), and some crysocholla rondelles, and made some wire components with rivets and spirals. Initially, the donut was supposed to be part of a pendant, hanging from the necklace piece, but I decided it was too big for that, so after cutting and throwing away some copper wire (so glad didn't try it in silver...) I made it a part of the necklace, like so:













I'm pretty happy with it and the colors look beautiful. And this donut is definitely so much easier on my thighs!... Here's another photo:

Anyone for donuts?



Next: my lime plan! Wouldn't this lime green look beautiful with copper too?




I want to add some resin work to this one, I'm loving working with Ice Resin. Finished piece (hopefully) coming soon.


Fiquem bem!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you have to say. Thank you for taking the time!