Sunday, November 27, 2011

So why quimera?

I started this jewelry journey 2 years ago, and from the very beginning I read countless times how important is was to have a signature style. This seemed to be taken to largely mean working with the same or similar techniques, maybe using a signature component on every piece, I don't know, just that thing that makes someone look at a necklace and know it's yours. I never felt I had that. After all, I can as easily make something like the "Meet me by the columnade" earrings below, a simple design with traditional materials,
and the very next day pick up some feathers, cut sheet metal, oxidize the pieces, add sari silk and a vintage button, pour some resin mixed with mica powder and come out with "My feathered friend" necklace:
So where was my style?

At the same time, I was looking for a name and my own just didn't seem to have a nice ring (although if I used my full name - 10 names long like many Portuguese names - it would sure be original)... I remembered the word "chimera" because it means an ilusion, a dream - like my dream to shape wire, metal and whatever comes my way full time. And when I researched the word, I found it's original meaning was a mythological fire-breathing creature with the body of a goat, the head of a lion and the tail of a serpent! And no, I did not decide to start using animal body parts on my work, but I liked the idea of my pieces being a chimera, something made up of different parts that come together to make up a brand new creature. And you know, I am also a chimera, like we all are, made up of different compulsions, some days we want to be elegant, others bohemian, sometimes sexy, sometimes just comfortable. So I decided that is my signature style - mixing materials and techniques, always trying something new or reverting to the traditional and I want to learn more, more, more! Hopefully some elements of my work like my sense of color or craftmanship will make my pieces recognizable as mine (which many people actually tell me) and that sounds pretty good to me. Anyway, this is my story and I'm sticking to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you have to say. Thank you for taking the time!